Now is the season that mold begins to flare up in homes and businesses. The season is favorable for mold to grow in properties due to humidity and dampness. Furnaces are done running, and the April showers only fuel the growth of mold.
Here is some useful information about mold that every homeowner should know:
Firstly, every homeowner should know that bathroom tiles are a breeding ground for mold and mildew. The reason for this is that it is usually damp in bathrooms, and that encourages the growth of mold.
About 90 percent of all of the homes that are inspected for mold have mold somewhere. It may not be able to be seen, but it is very common for mold to hide in walls, under porches and decks, in garages, and in attic spaces.
Most people are terrified of mold, but it has been here since the beginning of time and will be around until the end.
Mold itself is a microscopic organism that can be found both indoors and outdoors. It is technically a living thing, but it isn’t plant or animal – instead it is a fungus. Mold actually plays an important role in the environment because it eats away at dead organic material and cleans up the planet. Did you know that Penicillin is actually a type of mold, but it saves many lives on a daily basis?
This fungus requires warm temperatures, oxygen, nutrients, and H2O in order to thrive. The materials that mold normally feeds on are sugars, fruits, paper, vegetables, dust, wood, and drywall.
Mold will only grow if it has a source of moisture, food, and warmth. The most common areas of the home that mold can grow are kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and laundry rooms.
The way that mold is transported is by spores, but they are too small to detect with the naked eye. Spores can attach to peoples skin, clothing, shoes, or even shopping bags. Pets can also bring in mold spores. They are sometimes spread by the air ventilation system, and once they are settled in, it is hard to remove them.
Theoretically, mold could make you sick. The most common ailments associated with mold exposure are sneezing, runny nose, difficulty breathing, itchy eyes, skin irritation, and asthma attacks. If you have any family members living with you who are elderly, infants, or have a weakened immune system, they are most at risk for health complications due to mold.
The most effective way to keep mold out of your home is to use a de-humidifier, keep your home dry, prevent leaks, and clean any damp areas on a regular basis. Another effective method is to encourage air movement, minimize the amount of live plants you have in your home, and keep a clean environment.
It is impossible to rid your home completely of mold, but you can try to minimize the amount of spores that are present.