There are tons of states that presently have legislation that is open for the possibility of making online wagering legal. As companies such as Draft Kings and Fan Duel bring exposure to the industry, it is certain that more money and companies will enter into the space. If you think you’ve got to visit a racetrack or hook up with a bookie to bet on your favorite sports teams, players, and more, you’ll be glad to find that you can now enjoy sports betting from the comfort of your own home. There are quite a few companies getting on board, with some offering bare bones services and others offering impressive menus that let members place wagers on everything from the ongoing Summer Olympics in Rio to that good old standby, horse racing. Here’s the skinny.
What Can You Bet On?
Chances are pretty good that if you like a certain sport, you can enjoy betting on it and in the process, add an extra edge of excitement to each and every game. All of the most popular sports are available for sports betting, including:
- Football (American)
- Auto Racing
- Martial Arts
- Horse Racing
If you’re looking to bet on a new sport such as horse racing then it’s important that you understand the sport. Online websites such as The Winners Enclosure can give you insights into how betting works as well as strong horse racing tips every day.
What to Look for in an Online Sports Betting Service
As the world of online betting grows and wagering gains popularity, sports betting services are able to offer expanded menus that include quite a few exciting features. Every site is different, but there are a few things that you should look for before allowing a sports betting site to handle your wagering transactions for you:
- A clear explanation of how the service works: If you can’t find answers to your questions, then you might be in for unpleasant surprises later. Look for a service that is upfront and honest, with clear tips for getting started.
- No hidden costs or expensive membership fees: Top online sports betting venues make money – they have to, in order to stay afloat and continue to grow. But the money they make should come from fees that are explained up-front.
- Membership Incentives: Not really necessary, but nice to have! Membership incentives help you get a leg up so that it’s easier to learn the ropes and find your way around the sports betting site you choose. Some sites offer promo codes that help you grow your bankroll and enjoy the fun even more.
- Clearly defined odds, spreads, moneylines, and totals: It shouldn’t be hard to find these essentials on the site you choose. Top online sports betting venues often show the latest odds on major sports right up front, so you can see them right away. Look for NBA, NFL, and MLB odds to be proudly displayed and easy to access.
- Clearly defined rules: It should be very easy to find a list of betting rules. The best online sports betting sites usually offer a section outlining general rules, followed by very specific rules for betting on the sports and games of your choice. It should be easy to understand how to bet, and what will happen as the game progresses and as you place different types of bets on the sport of your choice. Limits should be well-defined, too.
- A solid glossary of betting terms: Again, this is something that isn’t essential for seasoned bettors, but it us very important for anyone who is new to betting on sports online.
- Well-known in sports betting circles: Since this company will be handling your money, it’s a good idea to look for a certain level of expertise. The best sports betting companies are often promoted on channels that cover games and races, such as ESPN, Fox Sports, CNBC, and others.
- Variety – Some online sports betting outlets specialize in one type of sport, which is fine if that’s what you’re after and you never think you’d like to expand. If you think you’ll enjoy betting on games and races, then look for a company that offers a full menu to choose from. You’ll have more fun and maximize your excitement.
- Sports betting becomes legal in more and more states